Re: Linux on O2?

To: Bill Halchin <bhalchin@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Linux on O2?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 02:01:36 +0100
Cc: marc@mucom.co.il, brett@madhouse.org, bleggett@sofamordanek.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 04:29:01PM -0800, Bill Halchin wrote:

> This is precisely why I gave up on this project. I could not get any
> documentation, no machine access (if you don't already have). In my
> opinion, SGI Linux project must address this problem if they want to
> attract "outsiders", i.e. people who are currently outside the SGI
> user community, but what to contribute to a very interesting (!!)Open
> Source project.

You should consider that that porting Linus to all of SGI's machines is a
pretty unrealistic project so with all optimism I don't think it's going
to happen.

Aside of that, SGI's Linux efforts are primarily about the future, not
the past and that's good so.

(Time to mention that I'm not speaking for SGI ...)