32-bit MIPS with > 512mb mem

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: 32-bit MIPS with > 512mb mem
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:24:27 +0100
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Is anybody using 32-bit MIPS CPUs which have more than 512mb of memory or
to be more exact have RAM that isn't accessible via the KSEG0 / KSEG1
window?

So far I haven't ever seen such a machine.  For 64-bit CPUs the right
thing to do is easy - use a 64-bit kernel.  But for 32-bit CPUs the Intel
highmem stuff in the memory managment now gives us a sane way to use
the memory of such configuration with just a little bit of extra code.

So if anybody wants support for such a configuration, please drop me a
note.

Thanks,