FPU Emulator (Re: Enhanced 2.2.12 MIPS Kernel Sources Available)

To: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>, <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: FPU Emulator (Re: Enhanced 2.2.12 MIPS Kernel Sources Available)
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:06:53 +0100
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hey, one reason I wanted to get the code out there
ASAP was to allow someone to do just that!

The bulk of the emulator lives in its own directory,
arch/mips/fpu_emulator, and the arch/mips/kernel/traps.c
hook is very simple.  There are, however, hooks that
need to be put into context switch, kgdb, and signal support
code here and there, and these key off some enhancements
we made to the CPU configuration code (e.g., there is
a mips_cpu data structure with an options field that
indicates the presence or absence of an FPU at
runtime).   In theory, the emulator is capable of executing
kernel FPU instructions and register register references
as well as those from user mode, but it's considerably
more efficient if the kernel knows to reference the simulator
state instead.  The work to merge all this into the SGI 2.3.xx
tree should not be too daunting, but it's not something that
MIPS is likely to take on internally any time soon.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.