Subject: SGI/MIPS Linux
From: Josh Gentry <>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 20:33:50 -0500

I am a student at a community college.  Our networking lab is slated to
receive some SGI servers as donations.  I have not been able to find out
the model of server, but I am sure it is a server, not a workstation.

We desperately want to run Linux (or any of the free BSD distributions)
on these machines.  My digging has turned up Linux/MIPS ports that say
they run on certain processors.  I  do not know if that means they will
run on these SGI machines if they have those processors, etc.  I just
not knowledgeable enough about the way operating systems work to know if
that is the case.

Also, I have found that there is a port to the SGI Indy machines, but
those seem to be workstations, so not what we will be getting.

My question is, is there likely a port that we can run on these SGI
servers?  If a port does not specify that it runs on SGI machines, what
do we have to look for to determine if it will?

Thank you for any advice.

Linux Dialin Server Setup Guide,