SGI/MIPS Linux

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, jhart@tvi.cc.nm.us
Subject: SGI/MIPS Linux
From: Josh Gentry <jgentry@swcp.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 20:33:50 -0500
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Folks,

I am a student at a community college.  Our networking lab is slated to
receive some SGI servers as donations.  I have not been able to find out
the model of server, but I am sure it is a server, not a workstation.

We desperately want to run Linux (or any of the free BSD distributions)
on these machines.  My digging has turned up Linux/MIPS ports that say
they run on certain processors.  I  do not know if that means they will
run on these SGI machines if they have those processors, etc.  I just
not knowledgeable enough about the way operating systems work to know if
that is the case.

Also, I have found that there is a port to the SGI Indy machines, but
those seem to be workstations, so not what we will be getting.

My question is, is there likely a port that we can run on these SGI
servers?  If a port does not specify that it runs on SGI machines, what
do we have to look for to determine if it will?

Thank you for any advice.

Josh
--
Josh