Re: Howto compile kernel on indy

To: Richard Dubrawsk <dubrawsk@nyquist.ece.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Howto compile kernel on indy
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:21:02 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 10:52:30PM -0600, Richard Dubrawsk wrote:

> I have tried repeatedly to compile both the 2.1.100 and 2.2.1 kernel trees
> on an Indy with the hardhat installation.  I had to manually remove the
> ${CROSS_COMPILE} directives in the Makefile on the 2.2.1 tree since it was
> defaulting to cross compiling otherwise.  My questions are:

Cross compilation is a configuration option near the end of the
configuration dialog.  So no hacking of makefiles required.

> 1. Is it possible to natively compile a kernel on an indy running linux,
> or must it be cross compiled on another machine?

It is possible, however most of us Indy hackers consider it inconvenient
to reboot the machine on which we're doing the development.  This is the
core reason why I almost never do native kernel builds.

> 2. What ever happenned to rdev.  According to the linux-utils package it
> should have been installed in /usr/sbin, and it is noticably missing?

Rdev is only required on i386.  On the Indy use command line arguments at
the firmware like ``vmlinux root=/dev/sdc1''.

> 3. Where can I find updated ports of the basic tools like compiler and
> libraries?

Updates versions are on oss.sgi.com.