Howto compile kernel on indy

Subject: Howto compile kernel on indy
From: Richard Dubrawsk <>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:52:30 -0600 (CST)
I have tried repeatedly to compile both the 2.1.100 and 2.2.1 kernel trees
on an Indy with the hardhat installation.  I had to manually remove the
${CROSS_COMPILE} directives in the Makefile on the 2.2.1 tree since it was
defaulting to cross compiling otherwise.  My questions are:

1. Is it possible to natively compile a kernel on an indy running linux,
or must it be cross compiled on another machine?

2. What ever happenned to rdev.  According to the linux-utils package it
should have been installed in /usr/sbin, and it is noticably missing?

3. Where can I find updated ports of the basic tools like compiler and

>From the messages I receive in this list, I know people are working on
this project, and I would like to provide some input, but without some
basic tools that work it is difficult to start.

Thank you

Richard Dubrawski

University of Illinois

(web page: