Embedded system with RAM Disk

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Embedded system with RAM Disk
From: Victor Wells <vwells@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 15:52:16 -0700
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
*** Please excuse if you have received multiple copies of this message.
I was not
        correctly subscribed to the news group.    Thanks for everyones
patience.  ****

I am developing an embedded system that will boot from flash.
I would like to load a RAM based file system to physical memory
and then have the kernel mount the RAM disk as the Root
file system.

This is fairly straight forward using "initrd" because normal kernel
functions can accomplish it.  I would like to skip loading initrd and go

right to the final RAM disk if this is possible.

Our boot process is to:
1.) Load the kernel
2.) Load the RAM disk/Root file system
3.) Mount the RAM disk as the Root file system within the kernel

How can I hard code the kernel to know where the RAM disk will
exist in physical memory?   We do not have JTAG or any other means
to create the file system on the target platform prior to saving the
file
system to Flash.

Thanks,

Victor