information on getting up to speed

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: information on getting up to speed
From: Richard Dubrawsk <dubrawsk@nyquist.ece.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 14:06:09 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Hi all, I have just successfully installed the hardhat distro on 2 sgi
indy machines, and have been reading everything I can find to get up to
speed on the port.  The web pages seem terribly out of date.  Could you
point me to some information about the current state of things.  I have
scanned the archive of this mailing list, but it is hard to get a feel for
things from such disjoint information.
I have been using linux since 1995, mostly on intel, and recently have
been maintinaing several LinuxPPC and UltraLinux machines.  I would like
to assist in the SGI port as time permits.  My first desire is updated
tools.  According to what I can find, there is not currently recent enough
tools available to support the 2.2.x series of kernels, I assume that is
not correct since I see indication that people are running 2.2.x kernels.
wheree can I find the latest stable(?) (reasonably stable?) versions of
libraries and compilers, etc.
Thank you

Richard Dubrawski

University of Illinois