Re: identifying sgi system type under Linux [patch]

To: Vince Weaver <weave@eng.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: identifying sgi system type under Linux [patch]
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:25:25 +0100
Cc: "William J. Earl" <wje@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, eak@sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 04:45:41PM -0500, Vince Weaver wrote:

> >       Note that the Linux kernel (like the IRIX kernel) has a way of
> > detecting the difference, since it needs to know which box it is
> > running on, so you could just get the kernel to export the data via
> > /proc somewhere.  The kernel variable "sgi_guiness" is 1 if the system
> > is an Indy ("Guinness") and 0 if the system is an Indigo2
> > ("FullHouse").  Look at the file indy_hpc.c to see how this is detected.
>
> thanks, this is what I needed!  It works (at least for me!)
>
> Here is the patch, I'd like someone with and Indy to try and be sure it
> works all around....

It's ``obviously correct''.  However I'd prefer if somebody would rewrite
the bootinfo.h and /proc stuff in a cleaner, more easy to maintain way.
We've got various modules that want to output information via cpuinfo
like the CPU-info, the second level cache handler and about the board
itself.  So what I want is something where various subsystems that want
to contribute to the /proc/cpuinfo content can register their own routines
when then will be called via get_cpuinfo().