Re: XZ graphics specs...

To: "Soren S. Jorvang" <soren@wheel.dk>
Subject: Re: XZ graphics specs...
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:44:30 +0100
Cc: John Michael Clemens <clemej@rpi.edu>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 05:56:13AM +0100, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 10:56:25PM -0500, John Michael Clemens wrote:
> > Would there be enough in this firmware to do a basic text console?  even
> > that would be better than soldering together a serial cable to run over
> > Minicom.
>
> You can always use the PROM callbacks for that.

In theory yes.  In practice all firmware that I've seen so far seems to
be rather fragile and for some systems also very performance limited as
it's running from uncached memory (veeeerry slooow) or at times even
from 8-bit wide PROMs which is so slow that it blows every meassure for
slowness.  Not to mention other problems.  So this should really be
considered a better than nothing solution.

That being said, Ulf Carlsson has implemented a PROM console which is
in the CVS archive.  Try it, I'm interested in reports.