Re: Status Indigo2 Beowulf project...

To: Avi Bercovich <bercovic@swi.psy.uva.nl>
Subject: Re: Status Indigo2 Beowulf project...
From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb@uab.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:01:03 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, "Mark A. Zotolla" <markz@uab.edu>
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Avi Bercovich wrote:
> I was wondering what the status was of the effort to build a beowulf
> cluster using Indigo2's.

The cluster, named pixel (after a negative attitude towards the original
name), has been up and running for a while now, however we have not
built a web page for it.  Some benchmarks have been run against it, not
by me so I do not know the results.  It is currently configured with eight
nodes.  Currently I am working on finishing up the floating point
exception handling for the kernel so we can run more benchmarks.  I am
looking at the end of the month for that to be complete.  The cluster will
then be put into more of a production enviroment, being used primarily for
research and education.  We are then planning on putting together a four
node cluster to do more benchmarking and testing.  I want to get the 64bit
kernel working on that cluster to see what performance gains it can
achieve.  I also want to use the small cluster to look into kernel based
cluster performance enhancements.  I should also mention that we have
tested pvm, MPI, and DIPC on the cluster, but I do not have any statistics
to quote.

-Andrew