Re: identifying sgi system type under Linux

To: eak@sgi.com
Subject: Re: identifying sgi system type under Linux
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:15:36 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Vince Weaver <weave@eng.umd.edu>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
Eric Kimminau writes:
 > Vince Weaver wrote:
 > >
 > > Hello again
 > >
 > > I was trying to see if I could get this Indigo2 to display that it is an
 > > Indigo2 under /proc/cpuinfo [instead of current behavior, which assumes
 > > all SGI's are indy's].
 > >
 > > Is it possible to figure out what system type it is from this info?  Is
 > > there another way to find out sgi system type?  Or is this just not
 > > possible?
 > The problem is that IP22 could be an Indy or an Indigo/2. Even under
 > IRIX if you run hinv it doesn't tell you that a system is an Indy or
 > an Indigo/2. Your only clues come from knowing additional bits about
 > what is or is not Indy or I2 hardware.  For example you would never
 > see Impact graphics on an Indy and you would never see an Indy 8-bit
 > graphics board on an Indigo/2 (although there were 8 bit boards on an
 > Indigo/2 - I have been looking aorund internally to see if I can find
 > one to see what it actually reports at command monitor for graphics).
 > Further confusion would be to try and identify an older Indigo with an
 > R4000 upgrade from an Indy.

      One key difference is that Indigo2 always has an EISA bus and
Indy never does.

      Note that the Linux kernel (like the IRIX kernel) has a way of
detecting the difference, since it needs to know which box it is
running on, so you could just get the kernel to export the data via
/proc somewhere.  The kernel variable "sgi_guiness" is 1 if the system
is an Indy ("Guinness") and 0 if the system is an Indigo2
("FullHouse").  Look at the file indy_hpc.c to see how this is detected.