identifying sgi system type

Subject: identifying sgi system type
From: Vince Weaver <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:09:16 -0500 (EST)
Hello again

I was trying to see if I could get this Indigo2 to display that it is an
Indigo2 under /proc/cpuinfo [instead of current behavior, which assumes
all SGI's are indy's].

I thought that maybe I could get the PROM to tell me this info, using code
like this

    #include <asm/sgialib.h>

    struct linux_sysid *mree;

    printk("Vendor: %s     Prod: %s\n",mree->vend,mree->prod);

the vendor is returned as SGI, but the "prod" just returns the serial
number [which seems to be just the last few octets of the MAC address of
the ethernet card].

Is it possible to figure out what system type it is from this info?  Is
there another way to find out sgi system type?  Or is this just not

\  /\  /\  /  Vince Weaver