Re: X server

To: Alan Cox <>
Subject: Re: X server
From: "William J. Earl" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:34:39 -0800 (PST)
Cc: (Bill Halchin),,
Alan Cox writes:
 > > Ralf,
 > >   What I am saying is why don't we try this approach.
 > "we". I have this cool idea - "You"
 > Actually  for an Indy X server your best model is still the 8514 driver in
 > XFree

      That sounds right to me as well.  The problem with fbcon or GGI
is that the Indy graphics hardware does not have a CPU-addressable
frame buffer.  You can always fake one in main memory, and DMA any
modified portions to the real frame buffer, but a naive implementation
would use more memory bandwidth than is available and a clever
implementation would incur a lot of VM overhead (and still use a lot
of bandwidth).  Starting from an X server designed for hardware without
an addressable frame buffer is more appropriate.