Re: XFree86-FBDev and /dev/fb0

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: XFree86-FBDev and /dev/fb0
From: Andy Isaacson <adisaacs@mr-happy.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 21:24:18 -0500
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 05:27:33PM -0800, Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> > XFree86 has builtin support for this mode of operation in the latest
> > development snapshot (3.9.17).  They call it ShadowFB.  Of course that
> > would only work in X, not on console.  Apparently it's fairly easy to
> > write a driver that supports ShadowFB; all you have to be able to do
> > is update a rectangular area of the screen on demand.
>
> Yeah, and that's what I tried to get working but I ran into other problems
> with
> the dynamic loading of X modules and stuff so I never got the chance to
> concentrate on the driver.  I have the early stages of a driver around though.

You're probably the first person to try the XFree86 loader code on
MIPS so it's not suprising you had trouble.  Try putting
"#define DoLoadableServer NO" in xc/config/cf/host.def; that way it'll
not try to use the loader at all.

-andy
--
Andy Isaacson  http://web.mr-happy.com/~adisaacs/   Fight Spam, join CAUCE: