Re: Question for David Miller or anyone else about R6000 code

To: Alistair Lambie <alambie@rock.csd.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Question for David Miller or anyone else about R6000 code
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:21:12 -0200
Cc: fisher@sgi.com, kevink@mips.com, linux@hollywood.engr.sgi.com, William Fisher <fisher@hollywood.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 05:30:49PM +1300, Alistair Lambie wrote:

> Don't forget CDC used the R6000 and ramped it to 90MHz.  They also got
> it going in an SMP configuration with 4 processors from what I can
> remember.  I guess it is possible that someone could actually want to
> burn some cycles on this, although they had better have a cheap source
> of power and good airconditioning :-)

At one time some Linux/m68k hacker was seriously looking into porting
Linux to a 3-CPU 256mb CDC which at that time was used as
ftp.uni-erlangen.de.

As usual the largest problem was technical documentation for the machine
and the CPU; the R6k is covered very badly by the freely available
documentation.