Re: Question for David Miller or anyone else about R6000 code

To: "Marc Esipovich" <marc@mucom.co.il>
Subject: Re: Question for David Miller or anyone else about R6000 code
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:41:08 +0100
Cc: "Linux SGI" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linuxmips@oss.sgi.com
The R10000/R12000 programs are still within SGI,
and are not supported directly by MIPS Technologies
Inc.   The MIPS/Linux kernel today does not support
the R10000 (there's a panic("CPU too expensive");
somewhere if the Processor ID for R10K is detected),
but the CPU should not be at all difficult to support in
the kernel - it was a design constraint of the R10K
that it run the same Windows NT kernel as the
R4400, so the CP0 is a pretty strict superset of
the R4K.   The hard part of an R10K/O2 port would
be more in the drivers than in the CPU support.
The O2 went for a high-bandwidth "unified memory
architecture" design which has very little resemblence
to any other Linux platform of which I am aware.
I've seen references on this and other mailing lists
to people working on getting Linux onto the O2.
Hopefully, they will respond.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.