Re: Hard Hat and Tandem.

To: Joan Eslinger <wombat@kilimanjaro.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Hard Hat and Tandem.
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Cory Jon Hollingsworth <cory@real-time.com>, linux@kilimanjaro.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Joan Eslinger writes:
 >  * > >     Tandem was a company situated in Texas that was in the business of
 >
 > Texas? Headquarters was Cupertino, California.
 >
 >  * > > selling business servers.  At the time this box was purchased, Tandem
 > was
 >  * > > repackaging SGI hardware and selling them as Tandem servers.  Since
 > then
 >  * > > Tandem has been bought by Compaq, which I believe where more or less
 > bought
 >  * > > Tandem in order to acquire the brand name.  Currently I believe
 > Compaq sells
 >  * > > industrial computers under the Tandem name.  I do not think those
 > machines
 >  * > > have a MIPS chip set though.
 >  * >
 >  * > Tandem has a very interesting program of HA machines and software.  They
 >  * > have more or less the only UNIX systems that guarantee like 99.99999%
 >  * > availability.
 >
 > Tandem had 2 computer lines: the fault-tolorant Himalaya line running
 > their own OS called Non-Stop built with MIPS CPUs, and the Integrity
 > line which was OEM'ed SGI Challenge servers running IRIX.

      Tandem had more lines than that.  They sold the S/3, which was
a triple-modular-redundant UNIX box, with MIPS processors and a hardened
version of MIPS RISC/os, mainly sold to telephone companies.  The S/3
was designed and built in Texas.  They also OEMed various SGI servers and
workstations, notably Indy and Challenge/S systems.   The Tandem versions
of the latter were identical to the SGI versions, except that the plastic
covers were black with a Tandem logo.