Re: Hard Hat and Tandem.

To: Cory Jon Hollingsworth <cory@real-time.com>
Subject: Re: Hard Hat and Tandem.
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:18:11 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Cory Jon Hollingsworth writes:
 >     I've opened up the box again to have another peak at the boards.  The top
 > board says this:
 > Silicon Graphics Inc.  Copyright 1994
 > SCSI-MEZZ CHALLENGE-S 030-8221-002 REV: D
 >
 >     This board has the WD33C95 SCSI controller chip on it.  This board has
 > two
 > wide SCSI ports out the back and an RJ45 which should be an ethernet.  It
 > has the
 > little network symbol by it.  I initially tried that RJ45 port for bootp,
 > but had
 > no success.  The main board below it has a female DB15 connector that I
 > connect a
 > ethernet transceiver to in order to run bootp.
 >
 >     The bottom board additionally has the two PS/2 like serial ports, one
 > DB25
 > female (don't know what it is), and a thin SCSI port.
 >
 >     It has no keyboard or mouse port even though the hinv claims it does.  I
 > wonder if this machine could be loaded with the incorrect boot prom?

     The keyboard and mouse hardware is in the ASIC set, just not attached
to connectors.  This is definitely a Challenge-S.  The mezzanine card (which
plugs into the GIO connectors where the Indy graphics card would be) is probably
not being recognized by the drivers you have configured, both for the WD33C95
SCSI controller and the extra Ethernet controller.  That is, you see the
base SCSI and Ethernet, not the extras on the mezzanine card.