Binutils, once more ...

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Binutils, once more ...
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 23:56:34 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Another binutils status report - as of now I still have two open bugs:

 - ld doesn't fill the .got entries for non-dynamic binaries.
 - binutils-current are so extremly wastefull with .got space that we run
   out of got space for building relativly simple programs like vim.
   There is a workaround for this problem which is using compiling things
   with the -Wa,-xgot option.  Not really a good idea because it requires
   recompilation of several packages with that option but at least it
   works ...

Btw, binutils 2.8.1 died the SIGSEGV death when trying to link vim ...