EISA support

To: Linux SGI <>
Subject: EISA support
From: "Andrew R. Baker" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:51:06 -0500 (CDT)
While working in EISA support for the Indigo2 I have run across some
interesting design decisions and I would like to get some feedback.

First is interupt handling.  On the Indigo2 all the EISA interupts and
mapped down to a single INT2 interrupt.  In other words, an [E]ISA card
generates an interrupt, which in turn, generates an INT2 interrupt, which
generates a CPU interrupt.  This causes a problem because current device
drivers do a "request_irq" call to allocate an interrupt, on the Indy and
Indigo2, this procedure allocates an INT2/3 irq.  ASFAIK, this means that
to be supported on the Indigo2, the device driver needs to call something
else like "request_isa_irq", so that it can be allocated properly.  I see
two ways of implementing this.  The first is easier to implement, but
looks slightly grotesque and would involve lines like:

the other would be to create a "request_isa_irq" procedure that defaults
to "request_irq" in most architectures.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on this?

The second is a request for comments on the advantages/disadvantages of
implementing EISA support as a loadable module?  There is nothing in the
running system that actually requires it to be available, and I think it
would be neat to have bus support as a module.