Re: Float / Double issues

To: Tim Hockin <thockin@cobaltnet.com>
Subject: Re: Float / Double issues
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 02:38:57 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 11:53:46PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > Hey gang - I have what seems to be two seperate issues on Mips/Linux
> > (cobalt boxes).
> >
> > 1) Programs using doubles with pthreads get corrupted data in the
> > doubles.
>
> That one is funny.  It was/is a longstanding libc bug originally reported
> by Dong Liu.  I actually thought it'd be fixed but now thanks to your
> report I see it's still broken.  So the multithreaded variant of your
> double.c doesn't work at all on our libc.
>
> The bug is in glibc/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/clone.S; I suppose
> Cobalt's libc which I last worked on late October is still using my
> old clone.S from that time or somebody else there came up with a funky
> new bug completly on it's own - which might explain why double.c cannot
> even successfully create the threads.
>
> More later ...

It is later :-)

Attached are fixed versions of clone.S.  I also attach Dong's old test
program.  While now threads are working dong.c still fails for a large
number of threads, that is > 1000 or so with a SIGSEGV.  This of course
doesn't solve your problem yet, Tim - but now we've got the same problem ...