Re: IRIX Partations with HardHat Linux

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: IRIX Partations with HardHat Linux
From: "Dag Bakke" <dagb@oslo.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:27:42 +0000
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
As I understand it, you only need to partition the disk with the SGI tools
(fx).
(If this is wrong, please feel free to correct me.)
Thus, you only need bootp and tftp to boot fx.

I am sure there is a linux tftp and bootp howto somewehere. If not, please read
the man-pages and write the HOWTO afterwards.

To boot fx on the Indy from the prom monitor (command monitor) enter:
setenv -p netaddr 123.456.789.123
boot -f bootp()remotemachine:/path/to/stand/fx.ARCS

And please note that 'remotemachine' should be by name, not IPaddress. Please
avoid routers between client and server. (It is doable, but often requires more
work.) If the server uses a 'non-standard' (very narrow) netmask, you may have
to tweak the bootp-line somewhat. I don't remember the exact syntax. Let us
know if this becomes a problem.

Dag B

--
Dag Bakke   -   System Support Engineer, SGI Norway
        SGI Norge                       tel:    67 11 46 01