Re: IRIX Partations with HardHat Linux

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: IRIX Partations with HardHat Linux
From: Vince Weaver <weave@eng.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:06:07 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Tom Woelfel wrote:

> Dag Bakke writes:
>  > No, you're not. Install linux 2.2.7 (.9?) on any i386 and enable
> experimental
>  > options and EFS.
>  >
>  > Then you should be able to mount the CD on the linux-i386 box and set up
> tftp,
>  > bootp and nfs for remote booting/installing. (You don't need nfs for
> booting
>  > fx, though.)
>  > Something for a rainy day....
>
> Hmm, is there a FAQ on how to set up such an environment ?

my friend and I managed to upgrade Irix6.2 to Irix6.5 on a Indigo2 with no
CD-ROM this way.

It involved a Linux box with an early 2.3.x kernel on it [2.3.2 I think]
with efs support compiled it.

It took many hours of tweaking the booptab file and tftp, but finally we
got the SASH off the Irix CD to load, and eventually a miniroot.

The one thing that really helped was putting the Debug Messages in bootp
up as high as possible, so you can see what files the SGI is requesting,
and then mess around with your bootp server until it gets the file it is
looking for.

I would be a bit more explicit but the final breakthrough was made late at
night after many, many, many randomly guessed attempts, and we were so
happy to get it working we were afraid to try and replicate it because we
never thought we'd figure it out again.

Vince

\  /\  /\  /  Vince Weaver
 \/__\/__\/   weave@eng.umd.edu     http://www.glue.umd.edu/~weave