Re: Memory corruption

To: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@thepuffingroup.com>
Subject: Re: Memory corruption
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:01:47 -0700
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ulf Carlsson writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > The compiler may stop working sometimes on certain files, giving bogus error
 > messages which I don't understand (the compiler is probably not the only
 > application affected).  Running this program I just wrote forces the
 > corrupted
 > caches to be flushed or something and ``fixes'' the problems:

      This problem sounds like a cache flushing problem.  Do you also
get SIGILL, SIGBUS, and SIGSEGV failures?  One possibility is that the icache
is not being flushed on a page fault, when a page is read in from disk,
and the icache still has old data in it.  This could lead to a cache line
of bogus instructions being executed.

      What model of CPU do you have in your machine?