Re: Belated Feedback: HAL2

To: Mike Hill <mikehill@hgeng.com>
Subject: Re: Belated Feedback: HAL2
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@thepuffingroup.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:28:21 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mike,

> This is only a month late, but the sound driver installation went without a
> hitch, precisely according to your instructions. I fired up the Indy last
> night using the latest sound kernel and played an .mp3 file using mpg123.

Better late than never. Great news!

> One thing I noticed was the absence of the occasional skips I've experienced
> in recent years playing CDs under IRIX 6.2.  I don't know if this can be
> attributed to a larger OS or my '94-vintage single-speed SGI-enabled CD
> drive, but it's not something I recall happening under IRIX 5.2.  (I guess
> 5.2 was less taxing on 32 M RAM.)

We beat IRIX, that sound great to me ;-)

I'm interested in how this CD playback works. Does it read raw data from the CD
drive and just play it on the HAL2 or are there some other and smarter ways of
doing it? I have a half-broken SCSI CD player here (which I'm currently only
using to raise my monitor some inches from the desk). Is it possible to read raw
data from an audio CD?

- Ulf