Re: glib (Was Re: X server update, observations on a successful installa

To: Pete Young <pete@alien.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Re: glib (Was Re: X server update, observations on a successful installation)
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 17:00:58 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 03:14:23PM +0100, Pete Young wrote:

> > This happens because we use an old version of net-tools in HardHat but
> > use a current kernel.  It's harmless however.  The solution is to
> > upgrade net-tools.
>
> Pulled down version 1.51 source from our nearest RedHat mirror and built
> it. Still 2 routes to the local subnet. Editing
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ipup and commenting out the route bit stops
> it, but also removes the route to lo0. Not sure which is worse.

Well, my advice was not complete.  Why upgrading net-tools is necessary you
also have to upgrade /sbin/ifup to a newer version.  The problem's cause is
that Linux 2.2 adds a route to every interface automatically.  The ifup
script then adds another route ...

> On a slightly different note, has anyone succeeded in building glib ?

Me :-)

> I'm attempting to build glib-1.2.1   Compilation keels over in
> testgthread complaining about undefined references to various pthread
> functions:
>
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -o .libs/testgthread testgthread.o
> ../.libs/libglib.so .libs/libgthread.so -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> testgthread.o: In function `new_thread':
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/glib-1.2.1/gthread/testgthread.c:89: undefined
> reference
> to `pthread_create'
> testgthread.o: In function `test_private':
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/glib-1.2.1/gthread/testgthread.c:197: undefined
> reference to `pthread_join'
> .libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
> .libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
> .libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
> .libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_cond_timedwait'
> .libs/libgthread.so: undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [testgthread] Error 1
>
> Any suggestions welcomed.

The program should be linked against libpthread, so the above link command
lacks the -lpthread option.  The question is now, why.  I think this happens
due to a bug which has been fixed in the meantime.  Please try to upgrade to
the libc from the Redhat 5.2 directory, does rebuilding work them?