Re: X server update, observations on a successful installation

To: Pete Young <pete@alien.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Re: X server update, observations on a successful installation
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:37:11 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 11:55:32AM +0100, Pete Young wrote:

> Something I note is that two routes were set up to the local subnet:
> (at least according to the output of netstat -r)
> Apparently you no longer need to do this by hand with kernels version 2.2.*
> - this appears to happen in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup .

This happens because we use an old version of net-tools in HardHat but
use a current kernel.  It's harmless however.  The solution is to
upgrade net-tools.

> Also, the default installation for portmap and ypbind starts them up in
> the wrong order: I gather this is a standard RedHat error?

Yes, should be.

> Anyway, these are minor gripes not related to the HardHat distribution,
> and the box rocks. However, not having an X-server is a bit painful.
> I'm a bit confused about what is actually available: there seem to be
> lots of x applications, XFree86 and so on in the RPMS directory, so
> what's missing? A frame buffer?

The Indy hardware doesn't have a frame buffer which makes writing an
X server more difficult.  The X clients are working fine however.