Re: after the kernel seems to live

To: Robert Keller <rck@corp.home.net>
Subject: Re: after the kernel seems to live
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:18:40 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 12:05:33PM -0700, Robert Keller wrote:

> It looks like I've finally been able to get the 2.2.1 kernel booting
> and trying to access its root filesystem over NFS on an NEC
> DDB-VRC5074 development board.  I'm at the point where the
> kernel is trying to run /sbin/init and things die because of illegal
> instructions in init (I'm using the little endian mips root from
> linux.sgi.com)

What CPU is being used on that eval board?  If it's one that isn't yet
supported in our sources then I suspect you have a problem either with the
cacheflushing routines themselfes or the calls to them in the network
driver.  What NIC are you using, btw?  We've got patches around for a
couple of those which are most often being used with MIPS machines.

> Where do I get the code for init, ld.so and all those vital root
> filesystem friends so that I can be sure that they are compiled
> the way I want them?

Unless you're using extremly old binaries I'm highly confident that the
binaries which you are using are ok.