Re: after the kernel seems to live

To: Robert Keller <>
Subject: Re: after the kernel seems to live
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:18:40 +0200
On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 12:05:33PM -0700, Robert Keller wrote:

> It looks like I've finally been able to get the 2.2.1 kernel booting
> and trying to access its root filesystem over NFS on an NEC
> DDB-VRC5074 development board.  I'm at the point where the
> kernel is trying to run /sbin/init and things die because of illegal
> instructions in init (I'm using the little endian mips root from

What CPU is being used on that eval board?  If it's one that isn't yet
supported in our sources then I suspect you have a problem either with the
cacheflushing routines themselfes or the calls to them in the network
driver.  What NIC are you using, btw?  We've got patches around for a
couple of those which are most often being used with MIPS machines.

> Where do I get the code for init, and all those vital root
> filesystem friends so that I can be sure that they are compiled
> the way I want them?

Unless you're using extremly old binaries I'm highly confident that the
binaries which you are using are ok.