HAL2 driver update

To: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: HAL2 driver update
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@thepuffingroup.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 00:20:35 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi,

I've got the HAL2 driver into the main ALSA CVS tree now. To celebrate that,
I've uploaded a new version of the driver. Including a binary kernel with sound
support this time.

If you want to play some music go through the following steps:

1. Get a binary linux-indy-sound kernel from
   ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test.

2. Install the ALSA and mpg123 precompiled RPM packages you get from
   ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/ALSA (note that I have moved it out
   from the test directory).

4. You will now have to create the ALSA sound devices. Run the script
   snddevices in /usr/doc/alsa-driver-0.3.0-pre5.

5. Insert the modules, in the order: snd.o snd-pcm.o snd-timer.o
   snd-pcm1.o snd-mixer.o snd-pcm1-oss.o snd-hal2.o snd-card-hal2.o. Write this
   in the boot scripts if you don't want to insert the modules manually each
   time.

6. Play audio!

7. Tell me (ulfc@thepuffingroup.com) if it works!

/ Ulf