success/ quirks.

To: linux@cthulu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: success/ quirks.
From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 07:57:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi guys,

just a little success / quirk report.  I got my hands on a 24 bit
R4600 Indy when my university ditched them all (they switched to Sun
machines), and I now use it as as very luxurious X-terminal to my
lowly linux PC.  After some tweaking I managed to boot Linux on the
machine as well, and installed it on the 2nd HD.

I have some remarks/bugreports:

  * the size of /proc/kcore was ludicrous for a 32 MB machine,

  -r--r--r--   1 root     root            0 May  6 23:24 ioports
  -r--------   1 root     root     167354368 May  6 23:24 kcore
  -r--------   1 root     root            0 May  6 23:22 kmsg

  * I  couldn't get g++ working.  The linker gave up after saying:

  /usr/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `__unwind_function'
  /usr/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to
  `__find_first_exception_table_match'
  /usr/lib/libstdc++.so: undefined reference to
  `__register_exceptions'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This was with Hard hat (snatched from a RH mirror), and
vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990329 kernel.  I can send you a bootlog as well.

Finally, what is the status of Linux/Indy Xserver?  (I know I should
contribute instead of asking, but hey, I'm spending lots of time on
free s/w already.)

In any case, keep up the good work.  Blue computers are so cool!

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys, hanwen@cs.uu.nl ** GNU LilyPond - The Music Typesetter
      http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/index.html