Re: Indigo2 patch

To: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb@uab.edu>
Subject: Re: Indigo2 patch
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@thepuffingroup.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 20:53:47 +0200
Cc: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> OK, since this is my first time making a patch I am not sure I got
> everything quite right.  This will let people with an Indigo2 actually
> boot into Linux.  However, they probably won't be able to do much

Cool!

> thereafter (I get the kernel to die while doing a 'cat README' in the root
> directory).  Unfortunately, this won't print the console boot messages to
> the screen either.  To do this, I replaced the printk code in
> kernel/printk.c with the printf code in arch/mips/arc/printf.c.  I'm sure
> there is a better way, but I haven't found it yet.  These were made

Yes, there's a better way. A PROM console can be implemented. I have hacked some
code for this PROM console for this purpose. I can't get it to open the initial
console though. I'll send it to you, maybe you have time to figure out what's
wrong...

> -LINKFLAGS    = -static -N
> +# having -N in LINKFLAGS causes my Indigo2 not to boot
> +LINKFLAGS    = -static

This is a problem with the cross linker and not with the kernel itself, it's the
same for Indy's. The code in the CVS tree should remain as it is.

- Ulf