Re: Yet Closer

To: Jeff Coffin <jcoffin@sv.usweb.com>
Subject: Re: Yet Closer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 02:14:49 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 04:40:54PM -0700, Jeff Coffin wrote:
> I think it's something else.  Here's what I get (this is from ralf's
> suggestion, didn't quite work for me) :
[..]
> Freeing prom memory: 0k freed
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 52k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Your /dev/console points to major 4 and minor 0 (5,1 is the correct one).
Try the vmlinux-initrd kernel from the test directory. It should drop
you into a single user shell with a ram disk as root. You should be able
to mount your root, and fix what's necessary.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]