Re: Yet closer

To: jcoffin@sv.usweb.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Yet closer
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 23:52:25 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 12:39:44PM -0700, jcoffin@sv.usweb.com wrote:

> I have SGI-Linux up on my headless Indy R5000, but I stupidly forgot to
> "change setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm to add some securetty's so that you can
> log in over the network as root.", so I can't get in.  I tried all the
> recent kernels to see if one had a serial console, but no luck.
>
> Is there a kernel around that has a serial console enabled so I can fix my
> situation or do I have to re-install?
>
> Any suggestions as to other ways to get in and add securetty's?
>
> In any event, what do I need to do to "change setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm to
> add some securetty's"?

When booting the kernel pass the additional argument init=/bin/sh.  You'll
end up in a single user shell, can remount your root fs r/w and fix things.

The whole securetty thing has become a senseless annoyance since the
introduction of pseudo terminals and more fine grained mechanisms for
controlling access from networks.