Re: using ec3 on a Challenge S

To: Chris Pezzee <cpezzee@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: using ec3 on a Challenge S
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:42:22 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'linux@engr.sgi.com'" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Chris Pezzee wrote:
> The situation:
>   I inherited 20+  SGI Challenge S machines that I would like to use for
>   web test clients and/or DIPC personal projects.  I would like to use
>   the second Ethernet port (ec3 in Irix) for something other than dust
>   collection.  I've read the list-archive, and there was a brief mention
>   of adding some probing code to the driver but that was all.
>
> What I'd like to know:
>   Is anyone working on this right now?

I'm reasonably sure that nobody has started.

>   If not, I'd love to try to get this working, but I haven't done any driver
> work before,
>   so where's a good place to start?

You should probably try to figure out where on the GIO64 that is located,
it shouldn't be too difficult with some guidance from folks at SGI.  What
ethernet controller is on there exactly?

At some point I was going to inherit such a card for my Indy (which would
replace my Newport temporarily), but I never got the card, and have been
busy with other things.  I wouldn't mind looking at this though.

- Alex