am-utils and NIS

To: Linux/SGI <>
Subject: am-utils and NIS
From: Charles Lepple <>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 03:07:49 +0000
Anyone have any experience with either of these under Linux/SGI? In
trying to rebuild the am-utils package to support NIS maps, I keep
getting this situation -- happens each time I try it :-(

gcc -shared -Wl,-soname -Wl, -o .libs/
misc_rpc.lo mount_fs.lo mtab.lo nfs_prot_xdr.lo util.lo wire.lo
xdr_func.lo xutil.lo transputil.lo mtabutil.lo mountutil.lo umount_fs.lo
collect2: ld terminated with signal 6 [Aborted]
make[2]: *** [] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/am-utils-6.0a16'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I'm building this from the SRPM, and I actually haven't done any
modifications to it yet -- it's just the am-utils-6.0a16-1.src.rpm from (built with 'rpm -bc am-utils.spec'). Oddly enough,
it doesn't appear that NIS support was detected in the am-utils
configure script (although the machine was bound to a domain at the
time). I won't spam the entire build log to the list, but I have it if
anyone has any leads on this and could benefit from it.

I don't know how related this is, but while ypmatch-type calls work OK,
ypcat generally returns errors like this:

green:~$ ypcat group
yp_all: clnt_call: RPC: Program not registered
[above repeats 3 to 5 times, then terminates with...]
No such map group.byname. Reason: RPC failure on NIS operation

Sorry to bug you all about this -- I know that NIS probably isn't high
on everyone's priority list...

Thanks in advance,

Charles Lepple
System Administrator, Virginia Tech EE Workstation Labs ||