DECstation patches

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: DECstation patches
From: Harald Koerfgen <Harald.Koerfgen@home.ivm.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:38:39 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi Gang,

some of you may have noticed that I started to commit some changes to the
CVS Repository ;-). Well, I did my very best not to break anything and
commited only those changes which are either harmless or wouldn't affect
code for existing machines. My apologies if I *did* break something.

The intention is to prepare a base of discussion for the not so harmless
R3000 specific changes. Therefore I'd like to bring the CVS repository to
a state where it works for R4xx0 based DECstations. There are, however,
two patches left to accomplish that which might have ill side effects on
other machines.

One is relatively boring, consisting mainly of changes to Makefiles and
Config.in to activate the whole stuff. If you are interested it can be
downloaded via

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/dec-activate-patch.gz

The second one is more interesting. On the DECstations some interrupts are
directly handled by the CPU, not via some sort of interrupt multiplexer.
With the current implementation of restore(flags) code like:

        save_and_cli(flags);
        enable_irq(irq);
        restore(flags);

simply doesn't work on DECstations. The same is true for the RESTORE_SOME
macro and r4xx0_resume().

My patch leaves the interrupt mask in CP0_STATUS intact in those places.
In theory this should work on all machines but might trigger bugs which
are undiscovered until now.

I'll attach this patch and would appreciate if some you would test it on
as much different MIPS boxes as possible.

Thanks in advance.
---
Regards,
Harald