NTools ENewsFlash -- Report: NT 3.5x Faster Than Linux

To: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Subject: NTools ENewsFlash -- Report: NT 3.5x Faster Than Linux
From: Raj Mathur <raju@sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:36:04 +0530 (IST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

    Ariel> [I'm forwarding a message that bounced.  Just thought some
    Ariel> people may be interested.  To add to what Eric wrote,
    Ariel> another thing that I find strange is that they are
    Ariel> comparing NT 3.5 rather than the latest NT 4.x to Linux.  I
    Ariel> also believe some of the results are missing crucial
    Ariel> details, like how the two very different web servers were
    Ariel> configured (e.g. standalone vs from inetd, ssi turned on
    Ariel> etc.) who paid for the report, full disclosures...  --
    Ariel> Ariel]

>From http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html

[About 3/4th way down the report]

Mindcraft, Inc. conducted the performance tests described in this
report between March 10 and March 13, 1999. Microsoft Corporation
sponsored the testing reported herein.

[Lookee who paid for it! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^]

Mindcraft certifies that the results reported accurately represent the
file-server performance of Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 and Red Hat
Linux 5.2 upgraded to the Linux 2.2.2 kernel with Samba 2.0.1 running
on a Dell PowerEdge 6300/400 as measured by NetBench 5.01. Also, we
certify that the Web-server performance reported for Windows NT Server
4.0 with IIS 4 and for Red Hat Linux 5.2 upgraded to the Linux 2.2.2
kernel with Apache 1.3.4 accurately represent the WebBench 2.0
measurements we made on a Dell PowerEdge 6300/400.

Our test results should be reproducible by others using the same test
lab configuration, the same Dell computer, and the software
configurations and modifications documented in this report.

[End snippet]