Re: Resources in X11 port

To: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Subject: Re: Resources in X11 port
From: Andrew Isaacson <adisaacs@mtu.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:18:50 -0400
Cc: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 08:45:58AM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > I would urge btw that anyone working on an XFree SGI driver
> > releases it under a license like the NPL so that the XFree people
> > can't hide it in a locked away beta release in future.
>
> Will they incorporate those changes though?

No.  XFree86 will not incorporate any code which is not licensed to
them under an X-compatible license.

That doesn't prevent someone from providing a driver under a different
license (very possibly including the XFree86 code under that license),
but a driver not under an X license will not become part of XFree86.

-andy (not speaking for XFree86)
--
Andy Isaacson adisaacs@mtu.edu adi@acm.org    Fight Spam, join CAUCE:
http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~adisaacs/              http://www.cauce.org/