Re: Resources in X11 port

To: Andrew Isaacson <adisaacs@mtu.edu>
Subject: Re: Resources in X11 port
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:22:45 -0400
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Andrew Isaacson wrote:
> Interesting page.  However, I would suggest that anybody who plans to
> tackle porting XFree86 to Linux/SGI should contact xfree86@xfree86.org
> and ask to become an XFree86 developer.  There are several resources
> which are available only to developers, including mailing list
> archives and the 4.0 development tree, which will likely prove
> invaluable to anyone attempting a port.
>
> If you (the porters) are willing to wait until June to have publicly
> distributable code, you should develop for the 4.0 branch rather than
> the 3.3 branch.  There are a lot of useful new features in the new
> code base, and the new design is quite a bit easier to code for than
> the old.

I think Ulf and I are both XFree86 developers, and I've been reading
code off and on for a little while to get a handle on what has to be
done.  (We haven't coordinated anything yet, of course, and I'm sure
that Ulf will be much more useful than I, but still...)

4.0 is definitely the plan, I believe.

Mike

--
4204.37 3709.72