Re: Resources in X11 port

To: Theodoros Nikitopoulos <tnik@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: Resources in X11 port
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@bun.falkenberg.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:21:57 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, s92035@athena.math.aegean.gr
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> I've just setup a web page containing helpfull resources I found in
> the net, in concern of the X11 Linux/SGI port. Maybe you know about
> it but well just in case.. :-)

I didn't know about your page, but I knew most of the stuff on your page. I have
been reading that DDX guide, but I didn't know where to find the "Strategies of
Porting guide", it didn't come with the X sources AFAIK. I still prefer reading
it in ASCII on screen, do you know where I can find an untroffed version of it?

By the way, I have access to the XFree86 4.0 alpha (beta?) sources since I'm
member of the XFree86 crew.

> Although an X11 port seems at first sight quite difficult--in case
> someone has a valuable ammount of information about--it seems
> to be quiete easy.

Full support would never be easy, and I'm not heading for that in the beginning,
although it would be faster, I would probably end up with nothing at all in the
end..

> Unfortunately, I cannot personally offer any other help in due of a
> project I have to work during the period April-June at INRIA. But
> in any case drop me an e-mail for any progress !  I would be glad
> to hear about it  :-)

I'll let you know if I have any progress.

Thanks,
Ulf