Parallel Port

Subject: Parallel Port
From: Matthias Kleinschmidt <>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 16:56:36 -0400
On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 09:17:20PM +0200, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > What about parallel port support? Or am I just unable to find it?
> who needs it ? These days every sane printer has a ethernet built in or
> is attached to a 386sx Linux box as print server:-) And scanners
> shouldn't be connected to printer ports. But a parallel port driver
> isn't a major deal (as long as it is a _printer_ port) and could be
> done by nearly everbody during a evening hacking session:-)

I would like to have printer support for my Indy because I can't find an
ethernet port on my $140 printer :-) and I would like to connect it to my
Indy rather than to my laptop (so I don't have to plug the printer in and
out every time I take my laptop with me).
And it may be true that nearly everybody (who has the documentation) could
write a driver but I don't have the documentation and I never wrote a device
driver. If it is really that easy it schould not be much work for one of the
Indy kernel hackers.

Matthias Kleinschmidt
Cedar Dell 568B, Box 5398
UMass Dartmouth