Re: mpg123 hack

To: Charles Lepple <clepple@foo.tho.org>
Subject: Re: mpg123 hack
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@bun.falkenberg.se>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:28:51 -0400
Cc: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi Charles,

> Weird thought: what happens when you duplicate samples? (ie make the
> dumped samples the same as the ones which are played) It sounds like a
> common-mode rejection ratio problem

Whee!! That gives me PERFECT audio quality, well stereo and just 22050 Hz, but
no noise.  Can you explain to me what a common-mode rejection ratio problem is
and why it's solved in this odd way?

> You may find it helpful to patch the line-out jack from the Indy to the
> line-in on another system, and record it. If you can capture the noise
> with this arrangement, I'd be glad to take a look at it and see if
> there's any rhyme or reason to it.

Yeah, my noise is really exciting...

I'll try to find a decent cable so that I can record it.

> I'd love to help directly (I have 3 Indys in the lab to play with) but I
> still can't get a system to boot properly, as I don't maintain any
> Linux/x86 boxes on that subnet.

I'd be more than happy to receive some help!

- Ulf