Re: Port to R3000 Indigo

To: Alan Hoyt <neuroinc@unidial.com>
Subject: Re: Port to R3000 Indigo
From: "Mark A. Zottola" <asnmaz01@asc.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:34:29 -0600
Cc: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I would like to second Alan's request. Our port of LINUX to the Indigo2 has
ground to an unceremonious halt for a lack of hardware documentation. I
understand that there are legal considerations. Would it not be possible to
release the documentation under some sort of non-disclosure agreement? As
we are writing code, if we do not :

1) include specific citations of the documentation within the comments, or
2) discuss those hardware matters deemed as proprietary within the comments

then it seems we could be able to satisfy any non-disclosure agreement SGI
would have while working under the disclosure constraint of the LINUX's
GPL. It seems there is an eminently workable way around this if reasonable
people can come together to discuss this reasonably.

Anyway, that's my naive 2 cents worth.

Mark

--
*********
Mark A. Zottola                       Alabama Research and Education