Re: Port to R3000 Indigo

To: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, "linux@engr.sgi.com" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Port to R3000 Indigo
From: Alan Hoyt <neuroinc@unidial.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:38:10 +0000
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ariel Faigon wrote:

> Regarding MIPS, for similar reasons, having the Indy port 'finished'
> (it is not yet really easy to get up and running) or having support
> for O2s, seems (at least to me) to be much more attractive than
> R3000 Indigos.
>
> Again, It is not that I don't want it to happen.  I'm just
> asking myself, what would I (and many others) prefer to put
> available talent energies on.   If we don't set priorities,
> we run the risk of getting lost in multiple unfinished ports
> and dilute our efforts and end results.
>
> ... <section omitted for brevity> ...
>
> I believe Bill Earl tried to locate some very old specs but
> couldn't find them (and he can correct me if I'm wrong).  Indy
> specs were sent (sorry I only have paper versions) to those
> who have shown they are really serious and can make a difference
> and asked for them.  The best source for older SGI machines
> data is at:
>
>         http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html
>
> This is the best I could find on anything before my times at SGI...
>
> --
> Peace, Ariel

Two questions:

Does this mean that you are going to be posting the hardware specifications
for the Indigo 2, O2, etc.. (i.e. SGI's more recent systems) on your web
server for public access, or will this information be disseminated through
controlled channels?

Also,  if you are going to post the specs - when will they be available?

Just curious, since HP publicly released some detailed hardware specs for
their systems in PDF format to assist their Linux porting project - it's very
nice.

Thanks

 - Alan Hoyt -