Re: Re: Port to R3000 Indigo

To: Theodoros Nikitopoulos <tnik@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: Re: Port to R3000 Indigo
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:52:55 -0800
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, s92035@math.aegean.gr
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Theodoros Nikitopoulos writes:
 > tom wrote:
 >
 > > And I know a group at KSC that's getting rid of a bunch of O2s.  We'd love
 > > grab them and make a nice little Beowulf cluster out of them :-).
 > > Unfortunately, we don't have the time at work to do a port :-(
 > >
 > > On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Jeremy Parsons wrote:
 > > ? I think it would be very relevant.  My company recently sold around 30
 > > ? of the R3000 Indigo's.  Just about every person who bought one of these
 > > ? was interested in the SGI/Linux project and wanted to know if they would
 > > ? some day be able to run Linux on it.
 > > ?
 > > ? Jeremy Parsons
 > > --
 >

 > I have a feeling that someone hasn't any chance to port Linux in the O2 or
 > Indigo2 platform unless Sillicon Graphics wants too. In other words, by
 > giving a great deal of information in public for building the appropriate
 > drivers. Am I wrong about it ?

      So far, we (SGI) have only released Indy information.  There is agreement
in principle to release information about more systems, but it is getting hard
to find Indigo R3000 documentation, except as IRIX source, and releasing that
has additional complications, although not necessarily insurmountable ones.