Re: Kernel port

To: Alan <neuroinc@unidial.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Kernel port
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 00:06:27 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 12:26:50PM -0500, Alan wrote:

> The "Goals" section on the www.linux.sgi.com web page states that the
> project would like to achieve  "Ports to newer hardware like O2(TM),
> OCTANE(TM), and Origin(TM), and even to old hardware like R3000
> Indigo(TM)."
>
> But wasn?t this written two years ago?  How relevant is a port to the
> R3000 Indigo?  If it is relevant and people are still interested, how
> could one acquire more detailed hardware specifications necessary for a
> port?

Well, not everything works as planned.  While in the meantime Linux has
been ported to quite a number of new MIPS targets Linux has not yet been
ported to the machines mentioned above.  I however hope the SGI's recently
announced commitment to Linux will also have some effect on the MIPS area
and make above port come true :-)