initrd is working and new test image

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Subject: initrd is working and new test image
From: Tom Woelfel <eedthwo@eede.ericsson.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:59:52 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thomas Bogendoerfer writes:
 > Hi,

 > For now, I've built a new kernel with an attached initrd. This initrd
 > contains a shell (ash) and some utilities (ls, mount, etc.) plus the
 > needed shared libraries. When you boot this kernel, you should see
 > the message will "Welcome to Linux/MIPS" and should be dropped into a single
 > user shell.
 >
 > So people with the problem seeing only "Freeing unused kernel memory",
 > please try it, and report your experiences.

Yesss, this works. After netbooting I find myself in the shell. The
included prog's are working. Well, actually I've rearranded my desk a
little bit, and while 'the X-files' are running in the background I
played a little bit ;-)

I was furthermore able to create a directory (/mnt) and
(straightforward) I tried to mount the root-dir from the server. This
works too, but whith some error-messages (RPC sendmsg returned error
code 128). After setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH it was aslo possible to
execute /misc/installinit/init. The following mount-request for /proc
ended the program.

Hope this helps,

Tom