initrd is working and new test image

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: initrd is working and new test image
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:19:44 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi,

since there are still some people out there, who have problems with
Linux/MIPS on their Indys, I was looking for way to rule out more
setup problems. One way is to get initrd working for Linux/MIPS,
so setting up the nfs root directory won't be necessary anymore.
I hope Puffin will get some time to get us a more decent RedHat
installer.

To build a kernel with an initrd, you need configure initrd into your
kernel, then make boot (right now it works only with ecoff kernels)
and use arch/mips/boot/addinitrd to combine vmlinux.ecoff with your initrd.

For now, I've built a new kernel with an attached initrd. This initrd
contains a shell (ash) and some utilities (ls, mount, etc.) plus the
needed shared libraries. When you boot this kernel, you should see
the message will "Welcome to Linux/MIPS" and should be dropped into a single
user shell.

So people with the problem seeing only "Freeing unused kernel memory",
please try it, and report your experiences.

I hope to get the kernel uploaded before monday (depends how crappy the line
to ftp.linux.sgi.com this time is). You can find it

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/vmlinux-indy-initrd-990313.gz

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]