Re: Linux/Mips installation

To: Jake Griesbach <griesbac@gamera.colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: Linux/Mips installation
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 01:00:22 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 04:02:08PM -0700, Jake Griesbach wrote:
> That was it!  I removed the CDROM and internal floptical drive, and the
> installation proceeded.  However, now I get the prom error when rebooting
> that is caused by elf kernels on old proms:
>
> Cannot load bootp()/vmlinux
> Illegal f_magic number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC.

The kernel worked before the installation and doesn't afterwards ? Strange.

> I tried downloading the ecoff kernel you posted in the test directory, but
> I still get the error.  Maybe I haven't installed it correctly, or maybe I
> am not typing the correct boot command.

Really the same error ? The 0x7f45 is part of the elf magic, which the
ECOFF doesnt contain for sure (at least not at the beginning of the file).

> I have unzipped the ecoff kernel and placed it in the installation (remote
> computer's) root directory.  (It does boot over NFS into the installation

If you boot via tftp, you need to put new kernel in your /tftp directory
(like you did it with the other kernel).

> script.)  I have verified the kernel installed on the local drive after
> installation is the same size.  (I simply copied it over to the local
> drive.)  Do I have to run something equivalent to lilo??

Right now, you have two choices for booting the kernel. Either use
bootp/tftp or put it on your Irix root partition and boot with
"boot vmlinux root=/dev/sdc1" (or the approriate /dev/sdxx).

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]